While your skin may have adverse reactions to certain metals, gold is a wonderfully inert metal that even the most sensitive skins do not react to. However, it is often combined with other metals such as lead or silver though when making jewellery, and these metals are not as non-reactive as gold. This can cause jewellery to lose shine over time. Additionally, pieces that are worn regularly can become dirty due to exposure to sweat, chemicals in soap, etc. Here are some tips to ensure that the gold you love retains its allure.
Water + Ammonia
*Note: This method won’t apply for jewellery that contains platinum or pearls, since they’ll corrode from the chemical interaction.
Gentle buffing is key. Keep the pressure low!
Keep all small pieces together so that they don’t wash down the drain!
Avoid dipping the jewellery in water is the stones are stuck using glue!
Avoid dipping the jewellery in extremely hot water since it could cause damage to the gemstones. Use Warm/tepid water.
Use Baking Soda and Vinegar to clean your pure gold jewellery! Don’t forget to use gloves while doing this process.
Use toothpaste on your gold jewellery!
The best is to take precaution than looking for a cure: Store your jewellery in Zip-lock bags
Use these simple tips to clean your gold jewellery and preserve it for the future- both yours and the next generation's.
Household ammonia ranges in concentration by weight from 5 to 10%. You don’t need higher strength solutions for home use. Never mix ammonia with bleach, or any product containing chlorine - the combination produces toxic fumes that can be deadly if inhaled. Always work in a well-ventilated space. Wear rubber gloves and avoid getting ammonia, or other cleaning agents on your skin or in your eyes. Always store ammonia out of the reach of children.